Saturday 14 July 2012

Witchy Woman, See How High She Flies


Well, one more cinema trip before the Caped Crusader's last outing (for now). I hadn't planned on it but the ticket was cheap thanks to my membership card, so I thought, why not? So, for your reading pleasure (or displeasure if you were forced here), here's my review of Snow White And The Huntsman.

Obviously, it's going to follow the Snow White story, but the key difference is that the huntsman (played by Liam Hemsworth) accompanies and protects Snow White (Kristen Stewart) from Queen Ravenna (Charlize Thereon) Ravenna plans to kill Snow White to achieve immortality.

I've condensed it only for the simple reason of, well, the fact that the story is common knowledge. I was originally going to wait for it on DVD and compare it to Mirror, Mirror and see which style works better, a comedic take or the action adventure presented before us, but like I said, cheap ticket. Plus the movie I was originally going to do in its place wasn't in, until AFTER I saw the movie, so there you go.

Best performance here goes to Liam Hemsworth. When it comes to brawling, he's a top choice, considering the action of Thor. He's gruff and brash but fiercely loyal and caring. He also gets one of the best displays of combat, fighting off three of the queen's forces with his axe in the Dark Forest.

Kirsten Stewart isn't someone I'm a huge fan of (mainly because I dislike the Twilight series), but I'm willing to accept that she is capable of doing decent work outside of that (except The Runaways, which she was a knock-out. Those types of roles are the ones she needs). And here, she's pretty good. Fairly emotive, which is a step-up from Bella Swan *Shudders* and she can hold her own in an action scene. Her scenes with one of the dwarves, Gus (Brian Gleeson) are among the best in the movie.

Charlize Thereon is... actually a mixed bag. The main problem is that when she shouts, rather than sounding forceful and evil, it comes across LIKE A PETULANT CHILD WHO'S SCREAMINNNNNNG! Like that. And if you found that annoying, oh boy, wait until you hear her. Granted, the character isn't terrifically written (one of my biggest problems with the film is that Ravenna is given a sympathetic backstory, even though she's not remotely sympathetic. A Freudian excuse does not a villain make) but Charlize isn't terrible. Though Ravenna's brother, Finn (Sam Spruell), made for a better villain, being menacing and cold.

I'll tell you who's fun, though, the dwarves (one of whom is Nick Frost!) They get good lines and character development, often providing moments of levity in tense situations.

The action sequences are nicely done, with the special effects looking pretty cool. The knights that the queen conjures are especially impressive (well, not knights in the strictest sense but still pretty cool).

The other big problem I have with the film is the ending (I'm going to say spoiler even if you know how a Snow White story plays out), in the sense that the queen is taken out so easily after effortlessly dodging Snow White's sword strikes. Doesn't help that she is mopping the floor with Snow White at first, only to be suddenly stabbed and all of a sudden it's like “Oh no, I am dead. Time to fall now”. Anti-climatic to say the least, especially when she's been built up as a woman with many powers and abilities.

At any rate, good film. Nothing special but not a waste of your time. Hopefully I will get the chance to see Mirror Mirror before the year's end. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment