Saturday 21 July 2012

Nights Out Shouldn't End Like This

Originally, I was going to post my review of The Dark Knight Rises. However, given the events that have occurred overseas, I feel that would be improper of me. As such, I will postpone it for the time being.

For those unaware, a young man shot 71 people during a screening of the movie in Colorado, with 12 people confirmed dead. The man was detained by police soon after, as he apparently waited patiently for them.

I refuse to name him, because that's what he wants: to be known. Hell, this post is already giving him some attention, so I'll move on to what I really want to say.

First off, to all of the victims out of there, to their families, friends, loved ones: my condolences to all of you, and I hope this will never happen again.

Next thing I want to say, one of the things that worries me about this is that the media will do their usual "Don't blame the individual, blame the pop culture in their life" attack they always do. They did it for Columbine, they'll do it here too. I hate the fact that these days, it seems no one can be held accountable for their own actions these days. And that will just set up a precedent with kids today that they can do whatever they like and get off scot-free.

I may be down here in Australia, far away from anything like this, but that doesn't mean I don't worry it can happen here. It shouldn't be happening anywhere. We go to the cinema to escape this kind of badness, not to meet it head-on.

I hope that people will still go see the movie after all this. Or any movie. We can't let the criminals, the monsters of this world win by making us not want to leave our home. They've had the run of the world for too long now.

All we can do now is wait for more information, and hope that justice will be served. If it ever can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment