Wednesday 4 July 2012

Lacking In A Certain Je Ne Sais Quoi


The following film is one of those projects that you read about on something like the IMDB and you think “Oooh, they're making a movie out of this? I'd watch it” but you don't keep track of it and it's released sooner than you think. So, right off the bat I knew this would be in limited release, if it was even shown in cinemas here (I got it on DVD so it's kind of a moot point anyway). Which movie am I talking about? The Woman In The Fifth, based on the book by Douglas Kennedy (and it's a book I've actually read, too, well before the movie was even considered. Though please take into consideration this was about 4-5 years ago so I'm not going to be able to remember every little detail between the novel and the adaptation).

Tom Ricks (Ethan Hawke) moves to Paris to be closer to his daughter, Chloe (Julie Papillon), and takes a job as a night guard for a local crime boss, hoping the isolation will help him concentrate on writing. He soon begins a romance with the mysterious Margit (Kirsten Scott Thomas), albeit a romance with serious stipulations. Tom soon finds himself in a worrying situation when people who have wronged him die suddenly, and he struggles to piece everything together.

I've not really followed Ethan Hawke's career and for the life of me, I can't even name anything else he's done, he's just one of those actors to me. One of those “Oh he's that guy with the thing who did stuff that time” actors, not a terrible one, just someone that doesn't leave an impression on me. Well, he was great in this film, especially whenever he got angry. His outbursts were magnificent, channeling such rage that it wasn't hard to be impressed. Even if I can't think of anything else he's done right now, something tells me I will remember him for this. Especially since he carries most of the movie.

Kirsten Scott Thomas is another one of those names I keep seeing pop up but can't name what she's been in. Unlike Ethan, however, her role in this film is rather limited, though that does help keep the air of mystery surrounding her character. She is rather good, but there's not much more to say.

If I have any problems (and I do, since it's me), they relate to the film's relation with the book.
For example, it's never really discussed why Tom and his wife are estranged in the first place, and if I recall correctly, she's not even in Paris. In the book, Tom was a teacher at a university who had improper dealings with a student and he had to flee to Paris to avoid scandal. So, by not including that, we don't really know what to make of the situation.

Also, the ending (do I even need to say “spoiler alert” here?) is vastly different, but both have one thing in common: they're both cop outs. In the book, it is revealed Margit is a ghost, who can only appear at certain times. Considering how nothing up to this point has been supernatural in the slightest, this reads like a bit of an ass-pull.
In the movie, however, the implication is that Tom made her up and is going somewhat insane, and that everything that's happened to him that's drawn attention (his daughter goes missing at one point, the deaths of people around him) are being committed by him.
Yeah, because we've never seen that before. Also, when he first meets Margit, that implies he spent time by himself outside, talking to himself. And no one reacted to this? No one thought to look for him and then comment “What an odd fellow, I suspect something is quite wrong here”?
I don't know whether or not to commend the film for not going with the contrived ending of the novel, or berate it for choosing its own poor ending.

So, all in all, a decent film. A little short, though, at a mere 80 minutes. Not the best adaptation I've seen but you could do worse (the second adaptation of The Stepford Wives, for example). 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment