Sunday 24 February 2013

Take A Shot For Every Argo Reference

Well, the Academy Awards have rolled around again. Oh wait, no, they're pulling a Shazam! on us and calling it the Oscars. I have no idea why.
But anyway, much like last year, I'm going to post my brief thoughts on each of the Best Picture Nominees, and pick who I want to win in the major categories, and guess who will actually win.

This year's picks are a lot better than last year's, in terms of what appeals to me, and what I've actually seen (that is to say, not many, but some are only just getting released now). With two exceptions, if I haven't seen it, I'm going to, though whether or not it'll be by the end of this year I don't know.

So, let's see the Best Picture Nominees.

  1. Amour- this literally only came out a few days ago down here (as of this posting), and it skipped my local cinema, so I have no choice but to wait for DVD. And it's not even a high priority. I mean, I do want to see it, but nothing about it screams “See me immediately!” Probably won't win.
  2. Argo- this one is on the other end, in that this movie DOES command me to see it. I have the DVD pre-ordered, and it is due in a few days time. I will be reviewing it for the blog, but even though this is jumping the gun, can I say I want this to win? I don't care if I haven't seen it, this movie looks great. As much as I actually respect Ben Affleck's acting ability, if he had to be an actor or a director, and only one of those (exclusions made for the acting portion if he's also directing the movie), I vote he directs. Gone Baby Gone is excellent, and The Town is also damn good. One of the strongest contenders to win.
  3. Beasts Of The Southern Wild- I know next to nothing about this one. Probably won't see it. Don't see it winning, either.
  4. Django Unchained- finally, one I HAVE seen. This will also be the next review for the 2013 movies on the blog (we WERE supposed to get it December last year, pushed back for reasons unknown). In short, another great Tarantino effort. It'd be great if it wins, but I somehow doubt that.
  5. Les Miserables- wasn't a high priority, will catch on DVD. Again, don't see this one taking the award.
  6. Life Of Pi- see above.
  7. Lincoln- like Django Unchained, an upcoming review. The most likely winner, and my pick for who will emerge triumphant (though I still want Argo to win. Nothing against Lincoln, it is a very good movie, and I give it my recommendation, for what little that's worth).
  8. Silver Linings Playbook- probably my next review after Django Unchained (can you tell I'm a little behind in my movie reviewing?), but this could actually have a shot at beating Lincoln and Argo.
  9. Zero Dark Thirty- … OK, I don't want to turn this into a huge rant or anything, or make some controversial statements, but the long and short of it is: I do not want this movie to win. I do not want this movie to exist. You know what, Flight should be here, Flight's a great movie (also an upcoming review). If any movie other than this wins, I will be happy (but I'll be even happier if Argo wins. I'll settle for Django Unchained or Silver Linings Playbook)

And for some reason, only nine movies, even though I could have sworn they were going with ten from now on. So... why not add Flight?

But anyway, besides one or two entries, a fairly solid list. Granted, Lincoln pretty much has this in the bag, since it's a biopic on a famous white man from back in the day but hey, at least it's not a World War 2 movie, right?

So, on to the next major awards, though without going into as much detail as I have above.
Best Director- Ben Affleck (OK, he's not nominated, but I want him to win. Also, WHY?! Why is he not nominated?!) I guess if I have to use the official list, I want Spielberg to win. Who probably will win, too.
Best Actor- Denzel Washington (want to win. Seriously, his acting in that movie is fantastic), Daniel Day-Lewis (probable win)
Best Actress- Jennifer Lawrence (both, actually. I think her role in Silver Linings Playbook was outstanding, and I think she has this locked in, especially since Meryl Streep isn't nominated this year)
Best Supporting Actor- ...argh, so many to choose! If I have to pick one, I want Robert De Niro to win, since Silver Linings Playbook is the best thing he's done in ages. Tommy Lee Jones will probably win, though I definitely do not object, he was great in Lincoln.
Best Supporting Actress- Sally Field for both, she holds her own in Lincoln.
Best Animated Feature- I didn't do this one last year, but this year's picks holds a few surprises. I've only seen two of them (Frankenweenie and ParaNorman, both I've reviewed already), but the other three (The Pirates! Band Of Misfits, Brave and Wreck-It-Ralph) I've been very keen to see for some time. Wreck-It-Ralph will probably win, and I want it to most of all, but anyone of these winning is something that pleases me.

I could be here all day, but I think I covered the biggest bases. I know that The Avengers and Skyfall have nominations for some of the technical awards, and more power to them.

On the subject of Skyfall, I haven't heard any of the other songs for the Best Original Song category, but Adele's Skyfall theme MUST win. Seriously, the love I have for that song, I'll never be able to do it justice.

As of writing, the Oscars are a day away. At the time they're on, I'll probably be sleeping, due to my nocturnal nature. So, I'll have to wait until I wake up to find out if my picks were right, and if Argo does win. Have I mentioned I want Argo to win?

No comments:

Post a Comment