Sunday 26 February 2012

And The Winner Is... Probably Who We Expected


With the Academy Awards nearly upon us, and me being a massive film nerd, I thought it was the perfect time to do a blog about this year's Oscars.
 
If I have one problem with the Oscars (and I don't, I could go on but I'm sticking with this one) is that whenever there's a biopic about royalty, a standard biopic or a World War 2 movie (or all three), they seem to be nominated for heaps of awards, regardless of whether or not they deserve it. Case in point, last year's nominations of The Social Network and The King's Speech (while it is indeed a very good film that I have underrated from the start, I stand by the point I am about to make). I have seen The Social Network and while it's a good film, its a story that didn't really need to be told. Seriously, if someone told you the plot of the movie was ”guy makes Facebook and gets sued”, that's basically what it is. It's spoiler-free, you know he's going to create Facebook. Now, I know that many aspects go into making a film and that story is one of them, but I can't see what else would lead people to think this is some shining beacon in film making.
The King's Speech is similar: while it's a better film, and I understand the importance surrounding the events of getting a member of the royal family to overcome a stammer for the sake of maintaining a strong image, it's not exactly The Queen (OK, I haven't seen it but come on, a title like that and you know you're in for important events) or Elizabeth (which I have seen and that was a very good movie, the sequel was OK). Just because it has a member of the royal family doesn't mean it gets a free ride. The same goes for World War 2 films, too. Yes, obviously it was something we'll never forget (and never should) but it's also a cheap way of getting an emotional response from your audience. If you keep shoving it down our throats, we're going to become jaded to the messages you're trying to display.

Let's look at the Best Picture nominees from 2010: 127 Hours, Black Swan, The Fighter, Inception, The Kids Are All Right, The King's Speech, The Social Network, Toy Story 3, True Grit and Winter's Bone.
Save for Winter's Bone, I have seen all of the above films (though I am keen to see Winter's Bone) so I can comment on what chance they would have had compared to the aforementioned biopics.
Toy Story 3 and The Kids Are All Right I didn't expect to win. They would have deserved it, most definitely, but Toy Story 3 being animated basically meant it was put in with the others just to avoid people complaining and The Kids Are All Right just didn't seem to have that many people in its corner. Having not seen Winter's Bone, I can't suggest what prevented the win (besides the point I'm getting to), but I reckon it would be something similar to The Kids Are All Right. True Grit is the second adaptation of a book, with the first garnering some nominations, so that could factor in for why it didn't win. And despite how simply amazing Inception and Black Swan are, that one big thing that'll be explained shortly is probably what denied their rightful Oscar.
So, that leaves 127 Hours and The Fighter, which fits in with the biopic angle. But, and this is also why The Social Network had to take second place (I say that because if they were ranked 1-10, second place is easily guessed), they weren't period pieces from a much earlier point in time, involving the royal family.
It makes me wonder why they even bothered with ten films, seeing as how this and The Social Network would have been in the cut either way. It's almost like you can announce a film about a prince walking down a road looking at his pocket watch as the war begins and the voting committee will say “Take as many Oscars as you want!”

But this year, things seem to be different. Not a royal film in sight, unless War Horse has an extended subplot with members of the royal film. I have to be honest, of the Best Picture nominees this year, I've only seen two of them (Hugo and The Descendants, both of which I have reviewed in blogs to be re-uploaded), so a lot of them I know little about. Part of that is I don't care about some of them, the others are either new down here (we tend to get some of the nominees late, since we're apparently not important enough to be considered for big films unless they're a franchise) or I have yet to see on DVD and I don't even know if they're on DVD yet.

This year, the nominees are: The Artist (I'll go over this in a little while), The Descendants, Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close (this one too), The Help, Hugo, Midnight In Paris, Moneyball (I still have no idea what the bloody Hell this is about), The Tree Of Life and War Horse.

Yeah, not exactly enthusiastic about this crop. This year, it seems the latest suck-up fad to take over royal films is “the silent era”, with The Artist and Hugo leading the charge. Much like the royal films, it seems to say “Hey, Oscar people, love us, you're old and white so you know this stuff!”Now, I'm not saying these films are bad on their own merits (again, I reviewed Hugo and I deemed it very good), but the fact that they're both in the latest Academy Awards doesn't sit well with me.
Also, if there is one film I do not want to win at all, it's Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close. Why? In the trailer, you see Tom Hanks and a child who I honestly thought was a girl at first (and I'm not being mean, I'm serious, I actually thought the character was female) being all “super happy fun family”, I was groaning at how cheesy it was. But then... it turns out, Tom Hanks' character died in the 9/11 attacks and it was at that point I wanted to punch that movie in the face. That just seems cheap and exploitative. Yes, it's a huge tragedy and there are bound to be tons of stories to come out of it, but like the Holocaust, the more you incorporate it into stories, the more you lessen the effect. So, no, I don't think it deserves a win based on cheap, emotional manipulation.

So, what am I hoping will win? Well, despite having not seen it, I'm rooting for Midnight In Paris, which I really want to see. I've never hated any Woody Allen film I've seen and Match Point is spectacular, with Deconstructing Harry and Melinda And Melinda offering some interesting ideas too (and also, The Curse Of The Jade Scorpion is frickin' hilarious)
What WILL win? Well, War Horse didn't seem to generate a lot of buzz, so I don't see that pulling in the big one. Honestly, I'd say The Tree Of Life or The Artist, with Hugo also not being ruled out, due to Scorsese.

Now, to prevent this from getting too long, I'm going to shorten the rest of the nominees of the big categories.

Best Director- Scorsese/Allen (want to win), Alexander Payne (probable win)
Best Actor- Gary Oldman (want to win), Jean Dujardin (probable win)
Best Actress- Rooney Mara (want to win), Meryl Streep (probable win)
Best Supporting Actor- Christopher Plummer (want to win), Jonah Hill (probable win, only because he's in Moneyball. Otherwise, he'd have no shot in Hell and he doesn't deserve it)
Best Supporting Actress- Melissa McCarthy (want to win. The fact that Bridesmaids got a nomination in some way, especially for one of its best characters with McCarthy's, is fantastic in and of itself), Berenice Bejo (probable win)

Sorry to have cut it short but again, I could go on all day. So, hopefully some of the people I want to win will have their talents recognized. But I'll have to wait a little while to find out

No comments:

Post a Comment